The town of Sullivan’s Island, incorporated in 1817, is a barrier island north of
Charleston Harbor that contains approximately 2,000 residents. This island has a long military history of protecting the harbor from invaders. Remnants of the military are abundant in now privately held military housing; even former fortifications are now single-family residences. While on the island, visit Fort Moultrie, a fort that was instrumental in delivering a critical defeat to the British in the American Revolutionary War.